Boiled chicken is a suggestion for a low-calorie and easily digestible dinner. Served with steamed vegetables, it is a dietary meal for everyone. How to make meat not bland and overcooked? Let’s check the best practices on how to boil a chicken. Our handy guide can really help you boiling chicken like a pro!
How to boil a chicken? Step by step
Preparing poultry in this way does not take much time, as long as we have pieces of chicken. If you have a whole carcass, it is worth dividing it in advance. Otherwise, cooking alone can take up to 2 hours.
To cook chicken you will need: pieces of chicken (breast, legs, wings), cold water, onions, carrots (or other vegetables), salt, pepper, marjoram, garlic or other favorite spices.
- Wash the meat thoroughly, remove the bones if possible and place in a pot.
- Pour chicken with cold water so that it is completely covered.
- Onions and other vegetables cut into cubes or slices, add together with garlic and other spices to the meat.
- We put everything on the burner. We cook about 15-20 minutes from the moment the water boils.
- When the meat is soft – we drain it and serve it.
Steaming chicken – how to do it right?
Let’s check how you can steam chicken if you actually don’t want to boil it!
- Sprinkle the washed and dried chicken breast with salt, rub with garlic and sprinkle with mild paprika.
- Turn over and season the same way.
- In your fingers, rub in a teaspoon of oregano and rosemary and throw the herbs into a pot of boiling water, add a sprig of fresh parsley, cover the pot and cook for a few minutes until the herbs release their aroma.
- Then put the steam filter on the pot and put the meat in it, cover and cook for about 20 minutes (cooking time depends on the size of the chicken breast).
How to make boiled chicken not bland?
Chicken cooked in water is often a unique specialty because of the fear of its bland taste. This situation can be avoided by marinating the poultry all night in spices or cooking it in broth. It is also worth adding aromatic vegetables to the boiling water, e.g. leek, garlic or sweet or smoked paprika.
Poultry meat – one of the healthier meats
Poultry meat contains unsaturated fatty acids. It is characterized by a high content of zinc, magnesium, potassium and B vitamins. These compounds increase the body’s ability to draw energy from food and strengthen the immune system.
Poultry meat is a dietary meat that meets the requirements of people on a gluten-free diet and who prefer low-fat products.
Chicken breast provides calories in small amounts, because it is a kind of lean, low-fat meat. It fits perfectly into the principles of easily digestible diet. 100 g of chicken breast meat provides 98 calories, up to 21.5 g of protein and only 1.3 g of fat. The medium-sized breast weighs approximately 150-200 grams. Certainly, the choice of this type of meat will be suitable for people on a slimming diet, but also with high blood cholesterol, because in 100 grams (half of the breast) it contains only 58 mg.